The Church is one of four in Suffolk dedicated to the Saxon Saint, Ethelbert, King of East Anglia and possibly mentioned in the Doomsday Book.
A notable feature is the square tower; this is open within and supported by two octagonal columns, with flying buttresses.
The font was probably of a much earlier date, possibly Norman. Its cylindrical bowl, which sprang from a fluted column, was carved with a representation of Adam and Eve in Paradise with Tree of Life and the Serpent in relief. This was destroyed by fire in 1869. The bells and interior fittings of the church were also destroyed. The double piscina in the chancel is a rare feature.
In 1869 a fire destroyed most of the thatched Church. Fortunately, it was rebuilt almost immediately. The restoration of the Church after the fire was carried out by Mr Arthur Blomfield.
For further reading there are the transcripts of press articles about the fire
To view drawing and measurements
The Church is memorable for its outstanding series of stained glass windows with the latest being installed in 1992 by Ivona Mayes-Smith and illustrates the theme “Herringswell in Spring”depicting snowdrops and daffodils and her Spaniel 'Tiffany'.
Further reading about the windows
The church is managed by the Friends of Herringswell Church